Thursday, 24 April 2014
Baked Turkey w. Broccoli
1 1/2 lbs Broccoli (Chopped)
3 Cups Turkey (Shredded/Warmed)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Onion (Chopped)
1 Cup Mushrooms (Sliced)
3 Tablespoons Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/2 Cups Broth & 2 Tablespoons Broth (Low-Sodium, Chicken/Turkey/Vegetable)
3 Tablespoons Half & Half Cream
1/2 Cup Parmesan (Grated)
1/4 Cup Sliced Almonds
- Boil water in a large pot, add the broccoli and cook for 4 to 6 minutes. Drain the water and place the broccoli in a greased baking dish. Make sure to spread the broccoli evenly across the bottom of the dish.
- Place the turkey on top of the broccoli, spread it evenly, and cover the dish with foil to keep it warm.
- Place the olive oil in a large pan, add the onion and mushrooms, and cook until golden.
- Add the flour to this mixture and continue to cook for another minute (continuously stirring).
- Add 1 1/2 cups of broth and stir it in, bringing it to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes (wait for it to thicken).
- Add the remainder of the broth and cook for an additional minute. Then add the cream and 1/4 cup of the parmesan and simmer for an additional minute.
- Preheat your broiler on high, and then pour the sauce mixture over top of the turkey and broccoli in the baking dish.
- Place the leftover parmesan and the almonds on top of the sauce in the baking dish. Broil for only a minute, or until the sauce begins to bubble and the almonds turn golden.