Tuesday, 6 May 2014
Pizza Zucchini Halves
1 Can Diced Tomatoes (Drained)
1/2 Cup Shredded Mozzarella (Light/Low-Fat)
3/4 Pound Ground Meat (Turkey/Beef/Pork)
2 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, and then scoop out the flesh (dice this removed flesh and mix it in with the ground meat).
- Cook the ground meat and diced zucchini flesh for about 5 minutes on medium-high heat (until browned). Stir in the minced garlic for a minute, and then remove the pan from the burner. Drain the excess liquid from this mixture and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the tomatoes and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella to the cooked meat/squash flesh mixture and mix well.
- Fill the squash halves with this mixture and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of mozzarella over top w. a sprinkle of basil as well.
- Place back in the oven for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese topping.
*This recipe is super easy to alternate according to your dietary preferences: the meat can be removed, or you can add pepperoni pieces instead of the ground meat!
*You can add any of your favourite pizza toppings on top when you add the last bit of mozzarella: olives, broccoli florets, etc.